Thursday, October 11, 2007

M R Ducks


Duck season opened last weekend here in Northern NY. I went out over the weekend and had a wonderful time. Bird hunting for me is as much about the time spent jawin' with friends as it is about bangin' birds.

You can't carry on in a tree stand like you can in a duck blind. We told jokes. laughed about missed shots. Busted on each others bad duck calling. But there are serious times in the blind as well. Several times I found myself in awe of the beauty that was being created by the brush in The Masters hand. The sun played off of the Autumn leaves in such magnificent color. I watched as a pair of ringneck ducks shot over the tree tops and checked out out blind. Their blue bills were visible from a hundred yards. We watched in amazement as a flock of 50-75 Canada geese dropped in from the stratosphere and landed right in the middle of my handcarved decoys. I am thankful that it was not goose season because we took the time to watch rather than shoot.

As the sun continued to drop behind the trees, the swamp seemed to spring to life. Giant blue herons circled overhead looking for a place to rest. A small green heron passed by gathered up a couple of his friends and slowly circled back by. Teal screamed by like fighter jets on a mission.

You can't beat a day in the marsh. An evening of fun and a life time of memories.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mark,
I thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful picture you painted with words. I felt like I was seeing those same scenes. Makes me want to go spend a few hours in the marsh.
Love ya,
Mom