Thursday, October 11, 2007

Loss of a GREAT Friend


I lost a GREAT friend Saturday night. My 13 y/o chocolate lab, Cocoa. We rescued him from the pound 10 years ago when we moved here. This is the first time that I have been able to write about this loss without crying. He was a very friendly dog. He never met a petting hand that he didn't like. He would beat you to death with his tail though. Cocoa had epilepsy and was unable to hunt with me. Oh what a great duck blind buddy he would have been. He slipped away quietly, Liz on one side of him, me on the other, with our arms draped over his body as he let go.
Cocoa will be missed as much as he was loved...dearly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mark, I have a chocolate lab grand-dog, who lives with Beth and family. He doesn't like Grandma to wear sunglasses though and will snarl at me when I forget to leave them in the car. I can relate to the tail knocking you over and everything else. I know you will miss your dog and will still tear up from time to time. Take care my friend.

Hugs,
Mrs. W.

Anonymous said...

Cocoa was such a good loving dog, right to the end. We too will miss him.
Love,
Mom and Pop

Anonymous said...

By the way, your pictures are beautiful.
Much love,
Mom

Karla Porter Archer said...

I know how difficult that can be. I was with Amelia and Mandy when they died - and there was some comfort in that.

I know how special he was to you.

Hugs and blessings,
Karla