Friday, November 09, 2007

Breast Cancer Awareness Month -better late than never


I have NEVER talked about a patient of mine on this blog but after my last patient I am moved to do so.

I met this nice 44 y/o lady a couple of days ago. She was in for a scan to monitor her chemotherapy treatment for breast cancer. She is very upbeat considering her story. She was diagnosed earlier this year. She started treatment in March. Since March she has had two pulmonary embolisms (blood clots in the lungs-AKA: PE). PE's come from clot fragments that usually form in the legs and/or pelvis. Part of the clot breaks off and travels up into the lungs where it/they get trapped in the small vessels. They can be life threatening depending on how much lung is affected. PE's are not uncommon during the treatment of cancer. After her first PE the doctors decided to place a filter in her that should prevent any other clots from passing up into her lungs. Well it didn't. She was hospitalized again to tree the PE. But her story doesn't end there.

When I went to the waiting area this morning to get her, she had a young girl with her that had a baby. I asked the patient if the women that was with her was her daughter.

"Yes, and that is my 1 month old granddaughter that is with her"

I told her that it was nice of her daughter to come with her to the appointment.

"Well she was diagnosed two months ago with breast cancer too"

WHAT?!?! This 22y/o girl that had a baby one month ago has breast cancer?!? I was speechless. How tragic. What an ordeal that these two women have to endure.

I have been blessed that I have not been personally impacted from the ravages of this disease. I hope and pray that I will never have to.

October was Breast Cancer Awareness Month. But, just because the month is over doesn't mean that the threat is. Most doctors suggest that women 40 y/o and older should have annual mammograms. If you haven't had yours, get it scheduled today. There is a plethora of information out there. Get informed today!!

2 comments:

Karla Porter Archer said...

i've been thinking about how I need to get this done too.

hugs,
karla

Anonymous said...

I just got the results of my mammagram I had taken earlier this week and all is well. I had an aunt who died at the age of 43 of breast cancer so I am very careful about getting this done each year. Thanks for sharing the story of your patient and her daughter. You are never to young, nor to old to be affected by cancer. My 41-year old daughter, Barb, is in remission right now with Hodgkins lymphoma; my husband passed away almost 12 years ago from lung cancer...never smoked; my mom died of metastatic pancreatic cancer 23 years ago. All of the young women who read this blog, please, please don't be afraid and be sure and get your mammograms done.

Mrs. W.