Thursday, November 02, 2006

Sometimes ya gotta head South before you head North

A couple of weeks ago I packed Peyton (youngest son), my laugage, and a boat load of handcarved decoys inot our Ford Taurus and headed South. We were headed for Decatur, AL for the Southern Wildlfe Festival Artshow. On our way down, a came across a radio station playing Contemporary Christian music. As Peyton slept, I sang along to the radio and prayed that God would provide us with safe travel. Peyton had already shown signs of homesickness even before we crossed out of NY, so I prayed that God would calm his nerves and that He would carry us on this trip. I drove about 10 hrs of our 17 hour trip before I pulled over for a nap. About 3hours later I woke up and found Peyton quietly watching a DVD( its 4AM). He said he couldn't sleep so we visited the rest room and head out for and early start. The entire way down I was able to pick up a Christian radio station and Peyton and I sang and I prayed for God to continue carrying us. Well, when we got to Nashville, Peyton had to use the bathroom (yes, there were othere stops before we got to Nashville). After our quick pitstop I noticed a "rainbowy" fluid behind our car. We were at a gas station so I figured it could have been from one of the other cars that had pulled into that spot sometime that day. I drove a bit further and finally the uneasy feeling got to me so I pulled over and checked......... Sure enough, that fluid was coming from my car. No!!!!! This isn't carrying us!!! This isn't making sure that we are taken care of!!!!! This isn't calming Peyton's nerves or mine, as a matter of fact!!!! What did I do to deserve this? Now I am 15 hours away from home and the machanic is telling me that he can't fix the car in less than 7days. I have to be back at work in 5days. What now? Oh yeah, It wll cost about $1200- 1500. Oh, is that all? Well, Mom and dad picked us up (they were down in Alabama to see my first show). We brain stormed and prayed and brainstormed some more. It wasn't until the next morning that our prayers were answered. My mother-in-law, whom we bought the car from, said that she would pay for a UHaul truck and tow dolley for us to bring the car back to NY. What an answer to our prayers. What weight lifted from my shoulders. As I sat at the breakfast table that morning with my mother and mamaw, I burst into tears. This trip South (both geographically and emotionally) had taken me "North", One step closer to God. I grew spiritually on that trip. I learned that God keeps His promises and that I need to stop trying to take control.

Oh, By the way... One of my birds won First.

1 comment:

Beck said...

What a gorgeous post!
Here from Karla's.